Walter Chandoha: The Cat Photographer

Long before there were cat memes and YouTube videos there was the cat photography of Walter Chandoha. Born in New Jersey in 1920, Walter Chandoha has been taking adorable cat pictures for over four decades.

Walter Chandoha cat photography

Not only has his work been featured in the pages of such prestigious magazines such as National Geographic and Life, but also in advertisements and and pet food packaging. So we’ve probably all been familiar with him and not even realized it!

Walter Chandoha cat photography

Last fall 50 of his photographs were published in a book titled Walter Chandoha: The Cat Photographer If you happen to be in New York City tonight you can meet this master at the latest local cat cafe Koneko from 6-8pm where he’ll be speaking about how to improve your own cat photography!

Walter Chandoha: The Cat Photographer

This entry was posted in Cats, Reviews and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

17 Responses to Walter Chandoha: The Cat Photographer

1. we only recently heard of his photography but LOVE it!!

2. Kat-Renee Kittel says:

Thanks for sharing! Love his work. <3

3. dmricciardi says:

thanks for the info!! added 2 of his cat books to my Amazon wish list! ♥♥♥

As someone who has been an admirer of Walter Chandoha’s masterful cat portraits just about all my life, I hope this appearance will result in many more becoming fans! Thanks for letting us know about it.

5. Summer says:

My human has been seeing his work for most of her life!

6. Great work !! thanks for sharing.

7. Bernadette says:

Did you happen to go to his talk? He was immensely inspiring to my painting of cats. I grew up with two of his cat photo books and seeing his photos in ads. His career as a cat photographer was influenced by a cat he rescued from the snow while attending NYU.

Unfortunately I was unable to attend as it was a friend’s Birthday. I love that he inspired you and liked hearing about how he got into cat photography!

8. Pingback: How to take photo for your cat – For Cats

9. Pingback: Cat Woman Wednesday: Foster Mom & Cat Photographer Tania Hennessy | I Have Cat

10. His pictures are amazing! I’d like to learn how to take better cat photos. He is an inspiration!