PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Water Fountain

I’m always on the look out for attractive and functional water fountains for my cats. If you’ve never had a water fountain for your cats you might seriously consider investing in a good one.

There’s something very attractive to cats about free-falling water. Those who have cats who dig drinking from facets know what I’m talking about. And it just so happens the circulation of water from the fountain infuses it with oxygen, making it fresher and tastier, encouraging greater consumption. Additionally, a ceramic or steel fountain can eliminate cat acne caused by plastic bowls and fountains!

As usual Kippie is the brave one and comes to scope out the fountain first.

I can’t lie, I was particularly attracted to The PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain in Red because of its color. But it didn’t hurt that it’s made of ceramic which molds much more slowly than plastic resulting in better tasting water for longer, and the need for less frequent cleanings.

It looks scarier than it is. Promise.

When I first took all the pieces out of the box I will admit I was momentarily intimidated by all the pieces. But assembly was remarkably simple, and it’s been one of the easier fountains to maintain. I haven’t had to wash it very often, and when I do, the construction allows for hassle-free cleaning.

Here’s a video of the fountain in action so you can hear it.

Admittedly it’s not the quietest fountain I’ve had, but I don’t find the sound bothersome. It’s like having a small rockgarden-type waterfall in the kitchen.

If red isn’t your speed, The PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Fountain also comes in white ceramic.

Oh, and the folks at PetSafe wanted to be sure I posted this video of how to properly clean the product. Sometimes people think the motor is broken when it really just needs to be fixed!

Which one of you already uses a water fountain of some sort for their cat(s). Did you notice they drank more water when you made the switch?

This entry was posted in Cats, Holiday Gift Guide, Reviews. Bookmark the permalink.

29 Responses to PetSafe Drinkwell Ceramic Water Fountain

We could really use one of those! We haven’t had a fountain in a long time and we love them.

2. Wow, that looks great! I only have this stupid bowl for water I only use when I absolutely have to. I’m a faucet cat you know! I need to ask my human to get me one of those!

3. We recently got the Pagoda fountain. We love it.

4. Pat DeWald says:

If you are serious about a drinking fountain and appearance and ease of cleaning counts, check out this Etsy site. Made in the USA and food safe, these are stunning and extremely easy to clean. They do cost a bit more, but you are getting a work of art that your kitties will be thrilled about using.

I’m sure they are wonderful and they def look like pieces of art. They just aren’t my aesthetic but that doesn’t mean others won’t love! Thanks for sharing the link!

5. Sadly, this would not work at my house…I have one cat that loves to play in the sink and one that thinks he is a raccoon and uses his paws to scoop water out of the bowl to drink, which causes a big enough mess without water flowing to make it easier to play in. But for people with nice normal kitties (ugh…did I actually say normal for cats…hmmmm!!) these nice looking fountains probably work wonderfully!! Thanks for sharing the story Tamar. Always a pleasure to read your Blogs :)

• Pat DeWald says:

Charmaine, a fountain may just do the trick for your playful kitties. Sometimes cats bat around the water to get it moving. With a fountain, it’s already moving and they may not feel the need to stir it up.

Pat, that’s a really interesting theory – now I’m curious! Charmaine will need to do a test for us! :)

• tracey says:

Hey there my previous two cats ;( use to love their water fountain. Einstein use to paw through the waterdish and leave me with a flood – vet at time told me that in wild cats would clear off top of water to get rid of yucky stuff first, once I got them the water fountain, that stopped.

6. Colehaus Cats says:

We use the big silver metal Drinkwell fountain and love it! Well, all but the looks. Not attractive in the least but we’ve been thinking a lot about the white ceramic pagoda Drinkwell version as an ‘upgrade.’ Maybe in the spring.

We have the raindrop as well, is that the one you have? it shows water marks more than the ceramic that’s for sure.

We have another type of Drinkwell fountain and yes, everyone drinks a lot more water since we got this! It is even easier to clean than this one, and we love it. Our calico queen, who’s always been fond of playing in the sink, loves her “water sports” and plays with the stream of this fountain. I love the sound — it’s very relaxing!

8. Connie says:

the reason why cats like running water is because they are desert creatures and as such often know that stagnant water can contain harmful substances.. where as running water generally is safer.. It is another reason why cats ‘dig’ at water.. (although some people think it is because cats can’t see the water level and thus make it jiggle so they don’t get their nose in it.. although with whiskers I find that one harder to believe.. )

9. meowmeowmans says:

We have the white Petsafe Drinkwell Ceramic Water Fountain, and the cats love it. Especially Moosey and Zoe. Interestingly, they are the ones always up on the bathroom counter, begging to have the faucets turned on. :)

Yes, we think they drink more now than BF (before fountain).

10. zlteam says:

This looks awesome and bet it would be great for my cats because of the ceramic! We always have kitty acne :(

That was SUCH a good point I just updated my post to reflect it. I’d forgotten about how plastic causes cat acne! Thanks for that!

11. Tiffany Pham says:

Hi Tamar,
    I have a quick question I wanted to ask you about your blog. Do you think you could send me an email when you get this? Thanks
    Tiffany

12. I love the color red. It’s a good thing that it isn’t made of plastic. We all know what type of problems plastic causes

13. All 3 of our cats enjoy drinking out of this fountain, which is great because they spend less time in the bathtub trying to drink from the leaking faucet. The only downside is that the flow slowed down to a faint trickle after 2 weeks or so as the filter became obstructed by some kind of goo that I assume was a bacterial colony. I was able to clean it off with very hot water to restore full pump functionality without replacing the filter, but only because I hadn’t ordered extra filters yet. I think once the filters I just ordered arrive, I’m going to be changing them about once every 2-3 weeks. I can live with that. I gave this product 5 stars because I don’t think the filter issue is a design flaw. It’s probably just an inevitable consequence of gross bacteria-ridden animals (loveable though they are) drinking from this thing. I bet there’s some way the water could be sterilized by passing through a UV light chamber, but that might not really work, and even if it did, it would just make the product more expensive. I’m pretty happy with this – it was easy to clean the main pieces in the dishwasher and by hand (I’ve cleaned it twice now, once with each method). It’s definitely better than the cheaper plastic cat fountain we’d used in the past. In summary, you have to take maintain this thing if you want it to work well and have clean water – but it’s worth the effort to keep your cats healthy, hydrated, and happy.

All very good information. I’ll have to keep my eyes open for that. Glad that you and the kitties still like it though!

14. Amy says:

Thank you for posting this and the videos!!! I’ve spent countless hours going over reviews of what the best pet fountain is. I have 2 cats but one is a Manx and like all Manx she has Megacolon. Regardless of how often I brush her and give her hairball control food she still gets them very bad and recently just had an enema done to clear blockage. The vet said to increase her water in take as this will help her Megacolon but since she HATES wet food I needed a fountain. I’ve been on the bench about the Pagoda as it has fewer bad reviews and seems easy to clean plus ceramic. Your article and videos have gotten me off the bench and I’m going to order one today! Thank you!