Flamingo Ballet

As I began weeding through the thousands of photos and videos my sister and I took during our African adventure I came across these flamingo images I just had to share.

Flamingoes in Tanzania

We’re so used to seeing flamingos standing on one leg not doing much of anything we were blown away by these flamingos who literally looked like they were something right out of swan lake the ballet (who knows, maybe it was really inspired by flamingos!).

Check out this video – doesn’t it look like they are dancing on toe shoes?!

Turns out that’s how they catch their prey – with their toes (or webbed feet, flippers, or whatever it is flamingos have!).

Flamingos and Zebras in Tanzania

Hope you enjoy the photos – I’ll try to post a few at least once a week!

This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

23 Responses to Flamingo Ballet

1. Karen Jo says:

The photos are great. I really enjoyed seeing them and the flamingoes do look like they are dancing in toe shoes

2. I love the beauty and grace of flamingos. Never new how they caught their food. I love how the feathers of the ones who are fortunate to have a diet of shrimp will turn a darker and darker pink-orange color. Purrs and hugs, Lily Olivia, Mauricio, Misty May, Giulietta, Fiona, Astrid, Lisbeth and Calista Josette

It’s true how these guys only had what looked like darker pink wings instead of being darker throughout like what we are used to. It must def be the diet!

3. Carolyn Schellhardt says:

How beautiful!!!!! Thank you for sharing!!

So beautiful, Tamar — thank you and your sister for sharing! Can’t wait to see more (and more LION pix, pls!)

5. dianamcelroy says:

such beautiful photos – and such an incredible experience for you both!

6. Thank you so much for the flamingos! I hope you’ll share more. One of my goals is to go to Africa to see them. I found out about your blog from my Google Alert for “Flamingos.”

And, I love cats, too — and have four >(^,,^)(^,,^)(^,,^)(^,,^)<

How cool you might be the first person ever to find my bog this way! How cool! And of course it’s brilliant that you have kitties too! Hopefully we’ll be seeing more of you here and you’ll be sure to check out our “BEST OF” posts to catch up!

7. Very cool. I still need to send your edited pics. Bug me when you get back.

8. Thnaks for posting this! My mom passed away in 2003 and LOVED flamingos. She had a collection that all sorts of folks from different times in her life added to for her that I was given when she passed away. I’ve added to it over the years and it’s one of my most prized possessions πŸ™‚

I’m so sorry to hear about your mothers passing but hope this put a smile on your face and made you think of her πŸ™‚ Glad you enjoyed it. πŸ™‚

9. ihavecat says:

10. tamstercat says:

I too am new to your blog, but not because I searched for flamingos πŸ˜‰ Only expected to see cats, but this is great! I love nature and travel, and hope to one day visit Africa. Thank you for sharing πŸ™‚

And your name is TAMstercat like my name TAMar! Welcome to I HAVE CAT! If you haven’t already joined our Facebook page you must! We are over 26,000 FB fans strong! Talk about lots of cat lovers! http://www.facebook.com/ihavecat
      and do be sure to go to the ABOUT section of this blog (up top along the navigation) to learn more about my cats and check out the BEST OF BLOGS.
      WELCOME!

• tamstercat says:

I noticed the “TAM” too πŸ˜‰ Thanks for the head’s up about your fb and the “best of” section. So much reading to do, but enjoying! Check out my fb page too, Siamese-Cats (www.facebook.com/welovesiamesecats). All Siamese All The Time…. well, with some other stuff too πŸ™‚

Cheers,
        tamstercat (aka Tammy!)

11. Jackson says:

I forget the documentary, but I once saw a movie in which the entire ballet from start to finish was presented–set to a brilliant soundtrack (Berlioz or Strauss, I think). It’s really something. It coincides with the mating season. They begin in tiny groups and amass, then parade back and forth in perfect unison, thousands of legs in concert, bodies undulating as one. And it’s hundreds of them, thousands sometimes, at once. Breathtaking.

Wow that is so cool, i’d love to find that. it was amazing seeing them. Unlike flamingos I’ve seen here in the states.