8 Terrible Holiday Gifts for Cats

Here are 8 items that for your sake (and kitty’s) are not under your holiday tree this year. Clothing is not on the list because just as with two-legged kids, they don’t want it!

1) Inflatable Unicorn Horn

If the name of the product isn’t enough to deter you from purchasing it, here’s what Dave Barry has to say about this…um…unique gift item:

If you know anything about cats you know how much they enjoy being dressed up as mythical figures. To use this horn you simply  bow it up and attach it to your cat’s head with elastic straps. Then it’s time to sit back and enjoy the ensuing hilarity for several lighthearted nanoseconds. And then it’s time to go to the emergency room.

2) Wigs (and we’re not talking merkins)

I don’t have words. Your cat does not want a wig. Trust me on this. Instead why don’t you purchase that kooky cat lover or cat stylist on your holiday gift the book Glamourpuss: The Enchanting World of Kitty Wigs.

No additional cats need be humiliated and you’re support the ones that have already endured the indignity (you’ll def get a chuckle out of it!).

3) Play Paw

Or any toy that teaches your kitten or cat that your hand is a toy!  Come on Doctors Fosters and Smith – you should know better!

Bad cat toy ideas

4) Crinkle & Toss Catnip Scented Papers

Has it come to this? We have to purchase paper to crinkle up and toss to our cats?

What about purchasing Post-It notes and spraying them with catnip spray? A heck of a lot cheaper and that sticky strip will provide much more entertainment for you when kitty can’t get it off his/her paw.Or heck. Just do what I do and crinkle your bills – recycling at its best!

5) Fur dye

Kitty is not an accessory and was born with the color he/she was meant to be! I like how they say the product can be used for cats and dogs but good luck trying to find a photo of a cat as an example.

Have we already forgotten that Natasha Gregory almost had her cat taken away from her for dying her pink to match her hair?

6) Rear Gear

As with the fur dye, they say it’s for cats and dogs but I have yet to find a photo of a real cat allowing this to be placed on him/her. I can imagine your cats reaction to this would be much like that of the inflatable unicorn horn (not good and very short lived).

And what happens when they go to poop? The Rear Gear gets poopy? ewwww!

7) Toys That Look Like They Were Made for infants

Your cat is not an infant. These look like teething rings. You should absolutely never have toys like this if you are a single woman. Your male callers will think you are hiding a human baby from them.  Also, it’s just embarrassing for your cat.  Get him/her something cool looking to gnaw on like a severed leg or wine glass catnip toy.

8) Litter Kwitter

At first I thought the idea of toilet training my cats was brilliant. No more litter to scoop ever (thought could be slightly awkward to walk in on your cat in the bathroom!)!

But besides the fact that famed cat whisperer Jackson Galaxy is not a fan of toilet training, I learned that flushing cat poop is dangerous to our environment! In fact, in California it’s illegal to flush cat litter/poop.

That’s because the parasite that causes toxoplasmosis cannot be filtered through our water purification system. And it’s been linked to deaths in sea otters and Hawaiian monk seals – the parasite has even been found in humpback whales and dolphins!

I’m sure I’ve left a few undesirable gifts out of this list so be sure to leave a comment and let me know what other terrible cat gift ideas you’ve seen lately.

What will YOUR kitties find under the tree this year?

This entry was posted in Cats, Holiday Gift Guide and tagged . Bookmark the permalink.

34 Responses to 8 Terrible Holiday Gifts for Cats

OMC, the Rear Gear! What insane human came up with that one? I mean, these “gifts” are all awful, but that one needs its own special category!

2. Brian says:

Oh yea, I hope none of those are under our tree!

3. animalartist says:

Let’s hear it for marketing to humans instead of cats!

4. Kristine says:

Interesting note about cat poop. I’d never thought of that before.

I’d like to know who can actually get a wig on their cat without feeling like an enormous jerk. I once tried to put a bandana around my cat’s neck and he cowered in such a way that I felt like I was an evil sadistic torturer. I can only imagine how I’d feel if I tried to put a unicorn horn on him. So not worth it!

Awwwww I hear you . I tried putting a cute t-shirt on Kip once and he wouldn’t move. it was as though I had paralyzed him! and when i put reindeer ears on Petie for a second to take a photo he went and hid!

5. Megan says:

Only things my cats get on Christmas is some of their favorite treats, a homemade catnip toy and lots of loves.

6. katsrus says:

My kitties won’t be getting these gifts!! Have a Merry Christmas.
    Sue B

7. Becca C says:

My kitties get a can of their favorite food and a couple of catnip toys for each. Plus all the loving they can stand.

8. Fadra says:

I have to say… I actually laughed out loud at the kitty wigs. I’d never do that to my cat but I did enjoy seeing them on other cats :)

9. Note: if you receive any of these gifts under your tree, get a clue… You ARE a naughty kitty!
    Love, Santa

10. askfisher says:

This is amazing. Who buys this stuff anyway? Ha! Have a Merry Christmas!

11. Mario says:

Rear gear? Seriously? Almost every point in this article was accompanied by “really?” or “wtf?”… But they all are nothing when it comes to rear gear. :D

Btw, about #7, we have a vet in our town who said she got dog toys for their human relatives for birthday once. They are way better and longer lasting than that ‘made in china’ crap most toy stores sell. :)

12. All these idea’s are crazy, I do not think dyeing an animal is crawl, Oh if you do quote facts make sure you get it right. Natasha Gregory did not have her cat taken off her it was seen and thought that it was a nasty prank, when Natasha phoned the R.S.P.C.A they were happy to give the cat back.

13. debbie sherman says:

all hilarious! i thought the litter quitter was a good idea for a couple minutes, til i realized i’d be sharing a toilet with my cat

14. My little guy has all the toys he wants (yes I will be giving him more this Christmas.) NONE OF THESE IDIOTIC THINGS! Please. Obviously the people that thought these up were the same kids when we were growing up that tied fire crackers to cat’s and dog’s tails

15. Santa brings me an inflatable unicorn horn and the big guy in red will be in TROUBLE for sure!

Purrs,
    Nissy

16. I don’t understand why people dye their cats. They are beautiful just the way they are!!!

Good list.

17. Bengal trio says:

Omc #1 had us rolling

18. Laurie and the "Girls" says:

Probably one of the best worst gifts for your pet has to be the “Neuticals” for your altered male pet! The “Rear Gear” comes in a close second in my book!

19. Lisa says:

My boys get real tuna fish & all the wrapping paper & boxes they can handle !! They love tissue paper with catnip sprinkled on it !