Max + Bob = Best Friends Forever

UPDATE: I’m so saddened to report that Max only lived in the lap of luxury with Bob for a few short months until he passed. I’m just so grateful he lived out what was left of his short life in Bob’s home and wasn’t put to sleep in a shelter. Bob said that Max would come up on his bed in the morning though he wouldn’t sleep with him there (which I know Bob was hoping for). Bless Bob for all that he did. xo

Today I received the best Valentines Day present ever. Not flowers or chocolates. Today I received an update on Max.

Max in my bedroom (finally out from under the bed) look at those huge paws!

For those of you who are not familiar with Max, he’s a senior kitty dumped at the ACC (NYC kill shelter) after 14 years with a family due to “allergies.”

After living in my bedroom for about a month, he found a forever home – hopefully his last – with Bob, an older gentleman in Yonkers who lost his cat a few years ago. [read on to see the sweetest photo ever]

Bob and Max meet for the first time, doesn’t that just melt your heart?

Today I received an update on how the two of them are doing from their neighbor Karen (my spy!), a wonderful woman I met when she herself adopted two of my foster babies.  My heart burst when I read her note:

“So I called Bob before going upstairs. I walked in the door and Max was sitting on the couch watching TV with Bob. I walked over and said hello. He got up and came to me. He let me pet him for a few minutes then went back to where he was sitting. I sat down next to him on the couch and he let me pet him. When he was done he jumped onto the floor and sat next to Bob. All is well!!!”

People often ask if I feel a sense of accomplishment when my fosters find forever homes. The truth is that I don’t.  It’s just something I do without giving it much thought. I see it as a very small way I can do my part for the kitties.

But when I dropped Max off with Bob a few weeks ago, what Bob said to me as he closed the door has stayed with me.

“Max is my family now.”

He probably said it to reassure me that Max would be all right. But in that moment it hit me. Two old men found a companion that day.

I love the photograph above of Max in Bob’s kitchen. When I let him out of the carrier he sauntered right over to the kitchen, stood by the two empty bowls and looked up at Bob like “Where’s the food dude?” The look on his face is priceless. Someone said it looked like he was telling me he’d be okay. That I could go home.

I miss my bedroom cat – as I fondly took to calling him – but it warms my heart to think of them on the sofa together watching TV at nights.

This entry was posted in Cats. Bookmark the permalink.

51 Responses to Max + Bob = Best Friends Forever

1. Ingrid King says:

What a wonderful happy ending!

2. *wipes away the tears* at such a wonderful, happy story for these two “old men”.  You did a marvelous job :) even if Cheeto’s freckled nose wasn’t your best valentine.  lol

3. Anonymous says:

What a wonderful gift you gave to Max.  Just being there and giving him a safe place until he found his forever home, is more than most would do.

4. Anonymous says:

It’s a perfect match–the thought of the two of them sitting on the couch watching TV brings happy tears to my eyes. Thanks for rescuing Max–and Bob!

5. Luanne57 says:

bravo!!!  and there’s plenty more where that came from!!!  u know meee…i’ll find another suitable foster for u!  =D

6. sharon says:

This made me cry!  I’m so happy that Max found someone to love and take care of him. :)

7. Rena says:

Such a wonderful story, Tamar, and such a happy ending for Max and Bob! Thank you for all you do.

8. Rumpydog says:

That’s wonderful news!

9. Ana Grupke says:

So often, in this society, our “elders” , both human and feline, are not really shown the respect, love and kindness they deserve.  The story of Bob and Max, with a plot of  twists and turns of fate, resulted in rich and fulfilling destinies for two such elders.  Thank you, Tamar for blessing Max, Bob and all your cat loving fans!

Thanks Ana for your on-going support.
      Your feedback and comments in general mean the world.
      Even though we’ve never met I really feel like I’ve got a friend in my corner in you :)
      T

10. Jmuhj says:

*BALM for my soul!*  So glad to read this wonderful cat tale.  This looks like a match made in Heaven.  Happy V-Day to them, and to you, too! <3

11. Sarah Menzies says:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this post! Brought a tear to my eye – and I’m at work, dammit! ;)

12. Boha509 says:

Lots of tears as I read this touching story, but they were happy tears. Thank you so much for sharing this wonderful love story – perfect for Valentine’s Day!

13. so freakin’ cool…a great love story for valentine’s.

14. Mommy sez A-W-E-S-O-M-E!!!!

15. Karen Jo Gray says:

That’s a great Valentine’s Day story.  I am so glad that the two old gentlemen found each other and are enjoying each other so much.

16. P Wheelock says:

I LOVE this story. Thank you for sharing it!  All the best to Max and Bob!

17. Sherry says:

It’s so good to hear news of Max & Bob.  I’ve been following Max’s story through you, and had just wondered how they were doing yesterday.  Thanks for keeping us informed.  Your hard work has paid off yet again.  Love you for it!

18. A beautiful story that brought tears to my eyes. How sad for this cat to lose a home after 14 years but how wonderful that these two elder gentlemen found each other.  You should take great pride in being a part of this!

19. Sideview says:

giving two beings each other for love and companionship is a very rewarding thing to do. doesn’t it make you happy?

20. Two old boys find happiness. Win win. I recently heard from the guy who adopted our foster gal Ling Ling. She doing well  but I know what you mean about missing them.

21. Melissa Trax says:

Beautiful post with a nice way of capturing the lasting effects of fostering without getting overly sappy.

Thanks so much Melissa! :)
      Sorry for the delayed response! I really appreciate reading every single comment. Sometimes i read them and forget to respond later!

22. Tina says:

This is such a beautiful story!  You have truly facilitated the opportunity for two individuals to serve one another in the most loving way!  It is simply said – A win/win for all!  Thank you for doing all you do and doing so with love!

23. I have tears welling in my eyes!

24. Ryan says:

Yay for Max!

25. kinkstar says:

Ah, Max! Sweet boy, you found a loving home for just a little while, but maybe it was just enough to calm your soul. Bob will be missing you, so please let him know you’re alright by coming back to brush up against his leg sometime. He’ll know . . .

• ihavecat says:

Thank you for your kind comment, it brought tears to my eyes =^^=
      I worry for Bob now..

• Sarah says:

Has Bob shown any interested in sharing his life with another elderly kitty? There are so many unfortunate stories out there now – beautiful, loving cats who have lost their family or been abandoned.

i think he is still grieving…not sure if he can take another loss :(

• Sarah says:

Maybe y’all could interested him in a “middle-aged” kitty — like an 8 year old. He obviously has love he needs/wants to share.