2011: Refinements Not Resolutions

Today is the reason I’m not a huge fan of New Year’s resolutions. And by today I mean December 31st of any year. It’s the day you’re forced to remember what you resolved to do 12 months ago and be accountable.

In my case, I made two rather public resolutions* last year, so there’s no escaping them. Tamar’s 2010 resolutions: 1) Talk to people more rather than text/tweet/email/facebook etc, 2) Meet non-furry, two-legged, single straight men.

Reflecting back on my 2010 resolutions (okay, maybe not exactly...)

I have to ask myself, did i keep my resolutions?

According to dictionary.com, the word resolution is defined as being “a formal expression of opinion…a firmness of purpose.” Synonyms are “determination, perseverance, tenacity, strength, fortitude,” This only RESOLVES my dislike of resolutions.

Why so emphatic? To have kept my resolutions was I to wake each morning prepared for battle, with a renewed sense of fortitude and determination about meeting a two – or one – legged man? That’s not exactly setting a person up for success now is it?

Why can’t it be enough to try. Or to just do better than last year? What about New Year’s Endeavors or New Year’s Betterments?

Tonight, instead of making resolutions I will proclaim New Year’s Refinements! A refinement is a cultivation, a purification, a fine-tuning. It implies depth… thoughtfulness. Antonyms are “dirtying, corruption, pollution, crudeness.” I mean, unless you go to hell in a hand basket we can be successful in refining ourselves throughout the year can’t we?

Now what will those refinements be I’m not quite sure. And did I indeed “keep” my 2010 resolutions? I’m running late to my NEW YEAR’S EVEN PARTY so I’ll have to get back to you on those, sorry!

These three happy campers wish you a HAPPY MEW YEAR (Haddie, Kip and Petie)

HAPPY NEW YEARS EVERYONE!

May you all have a wonderful, safe evening and a healthy and happy NEW YEAR filled with many felines and feline lovers! Thanks to each of you for your on-going support of I HAVE CAT.

Love,
Tamar, Kip, Petie and yes…Haddie too.

*this is how I signed off last year’s 12/31 post “Love T, Kip, Petey (and even little foster Haddie!).” I think she is mine under common law by this time!

This entry was posted in Tamar and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

39 Responses to 2011: Refinements Not Resolutions

1. jon adams says:

Excellent! Happy New Year, Tamar.

Thanks so much Jon and same to you and the kitties!
      I LOVE your latest work by the way!
      T

2. animalartist says:

Refinements it is! Love the three-level kitties, and you by the pool could be talking, in person, to a one- or two-legged single straight man who is not in the picture. HNY!

Bernadette, did you ever watch Seinfeld? There’s an episode in which Kramer wants “levels” in his apartment..your comment reminded of me and made me laugh!

I like your interpretation of the photo πŸ™‚
      HPY to you and the kitties!

3. Alexandra says:

I’ve never been one for New Year’s resolutions. I don’t think I believe in them. I mean, why New Year’s? Resolutions could (and should) be made anytime. Now refinements I could get on board with. Yes, I quite like that idea.

Happy New Year to you and the 3 lovely kitties!

Thanks Alexandra, for the support on non-resolutions πŸ™‚
      Wishing you a happy and healthy 2011!
      Tamar, Kip, Petie and Haddie!
      =^^=

4. Fin says:

May your new year be filled with joy, health, and riches beyond your imagination!

Purrs and Hugs,

Fin and Mom

Thanks Fin and Mom! Same to you from Tamar, Kip, Petie and little Haddie girl! HPY!!
      =^^=

5. meowmeowmans says:

Happy New Year, Tamar! We hope it is filled with happiness, health and dare we say, love! πŸ™‚

Thank you thank you! I hope so (re: love) but I’m so grateful for my friends and family and my health. And by friends of COURSE I include all the wonderful IHC friends I’ve made!
      HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! Wishing you all the best!
      Tamar, Petie, Kip and Haddie!

6. Refinements sounds an excellent idea! Happy New Year to yoo all!

Thanks Milo and Alfie! xoxooxox to you all, from Kip, Petie, Haddie girl and Tamar (of course!)
      =^^=

7. “Refinements” love it!!!! That is what I will resolve to do for 2011…to make “refinements” or do some “fine tuning!” lol

Happy New Year! Hope you had a great celebration!

Thanks Caren, for your on-going support and encouragement. May 2011 bring you good health and lots of loving kitties and kitty lovers!
      =^^=

8. Ingrid King says:

I’m not a fan of resolutions, either – the word just implies that they’re going to be broken by the end of the first week of the New Year. I set New Year’s intentions instead – the difference is subtle, but powerful. I love your refinements – I think I’ll add those to my intentions as I finetune them throughout the year.

Happy New Year, Tamar!

And BTW – LOVE the photo of your kitties – what a perfect shot!

I concur! Thanks for getting on-board with refinements. I think intentions is probably more poetic…and accurate…but oh well, it’s the best a non-writer can do! LOL
      Thanks for your support Ingrid, and I’m so happy we got to meet in REAL LIFE, if ever so briefly!
      Tamar, Kip, Petie and Haddie girl!

9. Kent Butler says:

Good thinking, Tamar!

New Year’s Day: Now is the accepted time to make your regular annual good resolutions. Next week you can begin paving hell with them as usual.
    ~Mark Twain

Headbonks and purrs to all of you for the 2011 year. Gorgeous pix — and yes, we are SO glad that Haddie is a loved and treasured member of your family. πŸ˜‰

Thanks Jmuhj, for your readership and support in 2010. It means a lot. And thanks for the support on little Haddie girl too…she really is a doll face!

T

11. Misaa says:

Brilliant idea!!

12. Chris DuPont says:

I’m so on board with refinements, betterments & learning moments! I very much love the photo of YOUR 3 kitties because, yes Tamar, Haddie is yours. <3

Peace, C~

Love them all! Glad you like the pic and YES you are CORRECT, she is mine. I really do love that doll ace sweetie pie! Girls are just different they are!
      T

13. We appreciate your resolve to avoid resolutions. Here’s wishing you and your furry family a happy and healthy 2011 with lots of good things, from all of us Good Cats (and our human staff too)!

Thanks so much!!! Giving you all the love and good thoughts and wishes back at ya! Thanks for all your support of IHC!
      HAPPY NEW YEARS!
      T
      xo

14. mar says:

I like Haddie’s elevated status πŸ™‚

15. zool says:

Refinement or resolution is up to you. Good luck in 2011 .. Hope ihavecat will better ..

16. Weetzie's says:

I like “refinements”, too! Much more human, much less dramatic. A couple years ago I started calling them “projects”. Y’know… “no pressure, not a resolution, just a little something I’m working on over here”

Happy New Year! I think Kip’s expression in that photo says it – “Hey, don’t be so hard on yourself.” And jeeeez, do I ever love Haddie’s face! πŸ™‚

Thanks so much! I like projects too!
      And I really like your interpretation of the kitty photo! tehe!

17. Puddin says:

Honey let me tell you!! You don’t want to have the man issues I had last year!! I think that I might just swear off men and stick with my four-legged furry boys personally, hehe!!
    XOXOXOXO Puddin

Oh no – I’m afraid to ask! You did read the posts about my most recent “dates”? I’m alone but surrounded by loving friends and family. Of course I’d love a companion but for my that + cats = happiness!

18. Banshee says:

Happy New Year to you all! The PM doesn’t do New Year’s Resolutions, she picks something new to learn. This year she wants to be able to cook an Indian meal from the naan down to mango sorbet!

19. berj says:

Enjoyed the photo poolside. . . nostalgic and contemplative as you describe. . . showcasing your classic Armenian features and strength. . . an arc defines the pool as clear water in the present foreground whose center coincides with your gaze. . .while the paved path tapers off into the past flanked by encounters both human and animal. . .

berj